When I started my career as a UX Designer, I quickly realised that my verbal and written communication skills were actually more important than ever. I also discovered that changing users behaviour often starts by changing business behaviour, when new to the user centered design process.
I have discovered the importance of managing key stakeholders effectively, here are my 10 key takeaways:
- Always start by listening and don’t say anything until you have carefully listen to everyone
- Never assume that your stakeholders know the design process
- Explain clearly why you are there and how you will help them
- Repeat information as many times as required, and verify their understanding of it
- Seek friends within the team that believe in the design process
- Pick your battles and bite your tongue when required
- Isolate people that produce work for you from internal battles, in that way they can focus on what they do
- Getting out of the office for stakeholders workshop helps a lot
- If a stakeholder becomes condescendant with you, maintain a professional attitude and keep your chin up
- Celebrate success with a nice cup of coffee and praise your team member.